Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Baptism by Fire

So, I've been back on the job for what, a week? Yeah. And I'm on call for 2 weeks straight. So far it's been routine, nothing big and not too often. Definitely manageable. Then Thursday night rolled around and it was non-stop - rule out labor, preterm labor, fun stuff.  I got calls all evening, went in around 2:00 am and got home again around 4:00.  Then about an hour and a half later was my first delivery at my new hospital. And it was a doozy.

Patient comes in by EMS, preterm with twins in active labor, no prenatal care.  The first twin is head down and coming quick.  The second twin is footling breech - foot first. This is a small hospital - no NICU, limited staff. So I get 'em to call all the support we could get - peds, the NICU team from the big hospital about an hour away, the surgery team, respiratory, everybody. The first baby is born vaginally and even though 2 months early is pretty feisty.  I am so relieved when the baby cries as soon as it comes out.  Then we roll back to the OR for a stat c-section. Since it is emergent, mom has to go under general anesthesia.  And when mom goes under general anesthesia, baby does too. Given how small the baby is it's surprisingly challenging to get the stubborn little thing out! But baby comes out at last and after a few minutes of resuscitation (which felt like a year while I'm working on putting mom back together and listening intently) baby cries and I breathe again. I get mom put back together and by the time she goes to recovery the NICU team is there and have babies well in hand and both are doing well - breathing on their own and stable. So, my first vaginal delivery and my first c-section at my new hospital happen on the same night (or morning, rather), the same patient, premature twins under emergency conditions. I think I'm still a little shell-shocked!  But all three are alive and well, so there's that. Whew!

I wasn't worth shooting the rest of the day, but thankfully I had blocked out the afternoon for meetings and got to go home early to catch up on sleep. I'm blaming my recovering from my own surgery for being a wuss about loosing some sleep. I slept for about 13 hours straight last night! The consensus among the nurses and staff is that after such an auspicious debut, it'll only be easier here on out. I can only hope so! Or at least that it'll be a good long while before we have any more craziness like that. Geez! I think maybe I need nap...


( 15 comments — Leave a comment )
Jan. 11th, 2014 11:09 pm (UTC)
That's amazing and wonderful that you were able to successfully deliver both twins. Go you!
Jan. 13th, 2014 04:40 am (UTC)
Thanks! I'm just grateful all 3 are okay. And hopeful that things are a bit more sedate this week...
Jan. 11th, 2014 11:09 pm (UTC)
My word, WELL DONE. And of top of your surgery,couldn't they give you more time off?

Sleep long and well.
Jan. 13th, 2014 04:47 am (UTC)
Thanks! I slept another 9 hours! Maybe I should've taken more time...but I guess you've gotta get back into the swing of things sometime. Oh well :-)
Jan. 11th, 2014 11:38 pm (UTC)
You don't do anything by halves, do you. ;-)
Jan. 13th, 2014 04:48 am (UTC)
No, it seems I really don't. Not quite sure why...
Jan. 12th, 2014 12:36 am (UTC)
Well congratulations. That's got to be one of the harder initiations to a new job.

I hope your own recovery is still going well.
Jan. 13th, 2014 04:49 am (UTC)
Thanks! I think that's pretty extreme.

I'm getting better. Still dealing with some soreness, but nothing out of the ordinary. Just keep reminding myself that it takes time... :-)
Jan. 12th, 2014 02:56 am (UTC)
Congratulations; you saved lives!

I'm afraid that major surgery will wipe you out for a while. Your body needs extra energy to heal and will want to take that in naps. The thing to keep in mind is that your body needs what it needs, and trying to skimp on sleep now would be counterproductive, extending your recovery.

Sleep well and heal.
Jan. 13th, 2014 04:56 am (UTC)
Thank you! I'm so relieved that they're okay.

And you're right. Somebody was poking around in my guts a little over 2 weeks ago. I just need to give myself permission to rest and recuperate. Thank you for the timely reminder. I did get 9 more hours of sleep last night. :-)
Jan. 12th, 2014 05:24 am (UTC)
Congratulations! That's amazing :)
Jan. 13th, 2014 04:56 am (UTC)
Thanks! I'm just so relieved they're okay.
Jan. 13th, 2014 10:12 pm (UTC)
Lol...I'm tempted to say wow, you've saved their lives, and you did, but I bet you've been doing that all through your on-the-job training only this time you *owned* it! Well done...it must all have been worth all those years studying training and stressing!!
Jan. 18th, 2014 06:36 am (UTC)
It was surreal, that's for sure! And it's true. I've always had backup in some form or another, even if it was just the theoretical person at the other end of the phone line. This was the first time on my own, where it was all down to me. As nerve-wracking as it was to have that be my first delivery here, it's good to know I can handle it...though I hope not to have to anytime soon!
Jan. 20th, 2014 08:45 pm (UTC)
THAT. Is a story you can tell forever.
( 15 comments — Leave a comment )